- This article is about the cartoon incarnation. For other incarnations, see Ranger Smith (disambiguation).
Ranger Smith is the head park ranger of Jellystone Park. Most of his problems come from having to prevent Yogi Bear routinely stealing visitors' picnic baskets.
Ranger Smith is a middle-aged Caucasian male, with black hair, and a bulbous nose.
Smith is hardworking, works by the book, and is straight laced, and wants nothing more than for Yogi to do what bears should be doing by not harassing the park visitors by stealing their food. He doesn't completely hate Yogi, it's just that he's always an overbearing exhaustion for Smith to handle. Sometimes he will threaten to send Yogi to other places around the country, or even other parts of the world, like Siberia. He gets along fine with Boo Boo and Cindy, because they abide by the rules, or at least better than Yogi manages to.
He seemed to join Yogi's Treasure Hunters, to simply keep track of Yogi, because if he wasn't keeping to his job, he would send Yogi back to Jellystone.
- The Huckleberry Hound Show
- The Yogi Bear Show
- Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!
- Yogi's Gang
- Yogi's First Christmas
- Yogi's Treasure Hunt
- The New Yogi Bear Show
- Yogi's Great Escape
- Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears
- Yogi the Easter Bear
Add details on physical appearance and personality.
Add episode details.
- He was initially voiced by Daws Butler as a prototype to Ranger Smith (as most rangers were before the character was officially introduced). Once Ranger Smith became a regular, he was voiced by Don Messick and continued to do in virtually all appearances until Messick's death in 1997. One exception for Yo, Yogi!, where Ranger Smith was the younger Officer Smith, being portrayed by Greg Burson. In Spümcø's non-canon shorts of the late 1990's, he was voiced by Corey Burton, being the first unofficial successor to Messick.
- Ranger Smith's appearances grew larger in season two of The Huckleberry Hound Show, although he still wasn't so important that he couldn't be replaced with a nameless lookalike stand-in now and then.
- In the theatrical film, Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!, his first name was revealed to be John, but later in the The New Yogi Bear Show short Predaterminator, he was called Francis.
- In Yogi's Gang, he inexplicably had blond hair.
- Daws Butler voiced both Ranger Smith and Boo Boo.
- TNYBS: Slippery Smith, season 1, episode 32.